Saturday, December 8, 2012

James Stewart...Granger...Stewart Granger

Coming out of the corner where I've been hiding from this blog to say: Oh my gosh, Stewart Granger.

I never thought I was the kind of person who got easily obsessed with actors or actresses... apparently, that isn't true, because I've seen 14 of Stewart Granger's movies since last Saturday. Oh my gosh, that sounds horrible. Really, who the heck is Stewart Granger, though? I had never even heard of him before last Saturday. But there I was, watching Fanny by Gaslight (1945) because I adore Phyllis Calvert to pieces, and suddenly onto the screen walked this fantastically handsome human being. I liked him from that very first scene, then I watched Madonna of the Seven Moons (1945) and that was it, finis, kissed my heart goodbye. 

[My GIF]
Now, you may or may not be wondering what on earth is so great about Stewart Granger that I should, I don't know, force myself to find time to watch 14 movies in seven days. He's quite perfect, I can't explain it. He has such a fantastic humor, but he can make your heart ache. There's rakish glint in his brown eyes, but at the same time there's something so fantastically decent about him. I love him because he can be a perfectly charming British gentleman or a reckless gypsy and either way he's fantastic. Anyone who says they only put him in films because he was good-looking needs to go watch Captain Boycott or Love Story, then get back to me with that statement, really.

The best Stewart Granger is gypsy Stewart Granger... or hobo Stewart Granger... or drunk Stewart Granger... or Irish Stewart Granger... or...
He has quite definitely the best face ever. His laugh is my favorite thing in the whole world. His voice in general is perfection (when that man says "ruggedness", heaven help us). I find his hair ridiculously attractive. He has an absolutely adorable smile. He's really the only good thing in The Lamp Still Burns and The Little Hut. And I'm dying to read his autobiography (Christmas present to myself, me thinks). 

I'm trying to convince myself that a week isn't enough time to call someone your favorite actor. But fourteen performances are living in the back of my mind screaming "He's great and you know it. Admit it. You know it's true, he's the best." Really though, look at him: 


Favorite. Picture. Ever.

11 comments:

  1. I love Stewart Granger too and I think you'll love his autobiography, it's one of my favs. The Granger you see on screen is the same in real life.

    p.s I've started my own classic movie blog, if you're interested it's at www.ohsoveryclassic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I'm so excited to read it now! And yay! You started a blog! I'll be following shortly. :D

      Delete
  2. I love this post. You are adorable, Natalie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyddie. *blushes* You're sweet. <333 [really tho, Stewart Granger is the adorable one, ngl]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered your blog. I've been a big classic movie fan for a long time. Good to find a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you making gifs! :) Glad to read a piece from you about this great-looking bloke. Still gotta get into him, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good taste in Actors there...!! Don't make 'em like this anymore....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    Did you receive the email I sent you a few days ago? Since it appears you have an interest in classic movies I thought you might be interested in my movie site and collection of rare films for sale.

    If there is something you are looking for but do not find, I would love to hear from you and see what I can do to take care of you.

    Thank you for having a look at my collection and I wish you a happy movie watching experience.

    Barbara
    ReelOldFilms.com
    22 Alvin Dr
    Pineville, LA 71360

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe I did receive your email, so sorry! I'll definitely look into your site, thanks for telling me about it!

      Delete
  8. Happy 100th Birthday, Mr. Granger!
    -an old disciple

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 100th Birthday, Jimmy!
    Thanks for the hundreds of hours of entertainment pleasure during my youth. Your films informed my own careers as an actor, director and playwright. What a thrill to have met you in the early eighties during a book signing event in Toronto, Canada. Your autographed photo and copy of "Sparks Fly Upward", remain to this day in the place of pride in my den. I bet you're still "knocking 'em dead" in that big cinema in the sky! Sincerest best wishes for another 100 glorious years! Thanks for the wonderful memories.
    Thom Bennett

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments so feel free to leave one! <3