It would seem that I was going through a more-obsessive-than-normal Fanwyck phase. And it would seem that way because I am. Who knows why? I surely don't. I keep wanting to post Stanwyck things, so I'm finally breaking down...and I'm going to post all the Stanwyck things. First of all, my favorite Stanwyck quotes - five favorites only because this could get long if I typed up all the favorites [I swear this woman was a bottomless pit of greatness]. Anyway...
I think a person's quotes - the things they said - say a lot more about themselves than the things other people said about them. Be it Barbara Stanwyck or Frank Capra or Katharine Hepburn. But, in this case it's Barbara Stanwyck. Ignore the language if you will, let the Stanwyck-isms be Stanwyck-isms:
1. I believe that faith is stronger than fear and can conquer it.
2. We are all very privileged people.The good Lord gave us that much more to walk ahead of somebody, and He showed us how to do it and we did. But we’re survivors. But, we didn’t do it on our own - we didn’t do it on our own. The man upstairs was pushing me.
3. Bob and I haven’t any plans except for being together as much as possible… I’m interested in everything Bob does, as he is in everything I’m doing…Perfect happiness. No plans… You don’t make plans when things are perfect as they are. Why should you? You don’t want to change anything.
4. When you finish, you walk off the set and a little part of yourself stays there. It's gone and done and you did it and you feel a little bit of emptiness after it's over. You thought it had left you, but it hadn't. It's that damn Irish in me. You say to yourself, 'I hope she lives.'
5. [About her thoughts at the World Premiere of "The Other Love"] I looked over that audience, and all I could think of was, 'Well, kid, you've certainly come a helluva long way from Brooklyn!'
Until Later On ~